Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Do you want to go on a date? wait... we have a baby

My Happiness Project for the year has been carrying on steadily as we near the end of January. My focus this month has been on getting this project set up, squeezing in more exercise, eating more vegetables, reading more, and staying on top of my habit tracker. So far, so good. I've fallen off a couple of times, but have not given up. I just hit the reset button and keep on moving.

I've decided to focus on my relationship with Darren for the month of February. I'd like to try and be a better partner to him. We've been together for about four years now, and it's the longest relationship I've been in. Now that the "in love" honeymoon period is long gone, and we have a baby and have decided to build our lives together, the work can begin.

I think to start things off, we need some quality time together. In the last year, we've fallen into a comfortable place. And in this comfortable place, most of that spark and intimacy that brought us together have diminished. So a few date nights or date days thrown into the mix might be nice. After having Ralph, I spoke to a lot of my coupled up friends about how they managed to maintain their relationships and marriages after the kids came, and all of them offered up the same piece of advice... date each other; designate a couple of hours once a week, get a babysitter, and just the two of you go out and do something together. Make it a ritual.

I've brought this up to Darren and he seems to agree. Now the problem is finding the time in his already full and busy schedule. And to find something to do that beats curling up in bed and getting a few extra hours of sleep. What are some fun, creative, and low maintenance date ideas that you've found to be successful? Yep, I'm asking you...

No comments:

Post a Comment